Hate ‘em or love ‘em, the online influencer isn’t going anywhere!
They’ve taken over Instagram, YouTube, Tiktok and more - and kids as young as one year-old are earning megabucks through social media sites!
Fancy a piece of the action for yourself? Here are our tips on how to become an online influencer in 2020.
1. Make sure you have the right kit
The online social space is highly visual and we bet you’ve been wondering how influencers get those angles and that lighting just right every single time, haven’t you?
It all comes down to having the correct equipment.
A good place to start is by buying an LED ring light. This professional piece of equipment is more affordable as you might think. Here’s why it’s on every influencer’s wishlist:
- You can take photos and videos at any time of the day - there’s no need to rely on natural light!
- They provide an even glow on your subject
- They help perfect your selfie, providing that coveted “halo” effect in the eyes
Consider purchasing a tripod so you can improve your photography, whether you’re at home, in a studio or out shooting on location.
2. Find your niche
It’s important that you can tap into online communities that share your passions. Think about what you’ll post and which format it’s going to be in.
Are you into fashion, interior design or the latest gaming technology? Once you find your niche, you can locate your unique voice and build a brand. Look at what others in your industry are doing and make a note of who’s doing it well. Take cues from them but make sure you create something that is unique to you.
3. Publish regular content
Decide whether you’ll focus on Instagram, YouTube, Tiktok, Twitter or something else. Your choice will largely depend on your niche and content format.
Are you a whizz at creating short, snappy videos or do you want somewhere to showcase your stunning food or travel snaps?
When you’ve chosen where you’ll post, make sure to publish regular, quality content. It should always be consistent with your theme and be sure to stay authentic! Social media users are tired of seeing posts that are overly filtered or false.
4. Make money as an online influencer
This is the fun part. Making money as an online influencer takes time. You have to build up your community and credibility to gradually establish a fan base. Only then can you turn your profiles into an income.
Some ways to make money as an influencer include:
- Connecting with brands relevant to your niche. Many will pay influencers for sponsored posts, and the more followers you have, the more you can charge.
- Become a brand ambassador. Rather than just doing one-off posts, a brand ambassador posts regularly about their favourite brands in an extended contract.
- Affiliate marketing. Some online companies provide an affiliate link or code to give to your followers. When they purchase something, this code is triggered and you receive a cut of the sale.